Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Brave New World (I hope Styx doesn't mind) (part 1)

Three months ago I took a big step into a brave new world. I left a career that I had been in for the last nineteen years, a career that I was good at, that I enjoyed (although less as time went on), a career that I walked away from for something different.

In that life, I was "photogguy", my on-line persona. I was a television photojournalist, and as I said, I was good. Damn good. But the business changed. Not all at once, but a little at a time, small steps that were hard to see when viewed on a small scale. But over the years, television news became more about entertainment than about good journalism. Just filling the holes between commercials with schlock, adding newscasts without adding personnel. And I had had enough.

I started working at a local community college, working in the technology department, taking care of the smart rooms, keeping the technology working, editing and shooting video when needed, an a whole lot of other stuff. I was apprehensive about making the move, but three months later I couldn't be happier. I'm doing stuff that makes a difference, making progress on projects instead of just putting another newscast on the air.

So, this blog is about the future, about what's happening in the life. I may compare and contrast this life to the old life, maybe reminisce once in a while, but I'm looking toward the Brave New World in front of me.

Brian

No comments: