Friday, January 4, 2008

New Beginnings (part 3)

Of course, all good things come with a price.

When I was hired by the college, they did a background check. They discovered that I didn't have a degree from my college days. It was news to me, too. I was one credit short. ONE CREDIT! For a bullshit, senior seminar course that I didn't know I had to take. I went to the university to work the problem out. Well, I had to take classes to get my degree. No biggie. But I had to take 9 credit hours due to the changes in graduation requirements in the last 20 years.

I was freaking out. I really wanted the job, and the job really wanted me. They worked into my employment contract that I would finish my degree by May of '08. No problem. I took an on-line class this fall, about racism and inequality (one of the requirements for graduation). The instructor was in Ghana during the semester. He was teaching from Africa! He graded on a curve, and all through the class my grades were ahead of the average grades on assignments, so I knew I was doing ok to pass the class. The grades came out last week, he posted the grading curve, including the high score and the low score for the class. I had the high score! Who'd've thunk? I was the guy the rest of the class hated for throwing the curve too high.

This semester, however, I have to drive to the university two nights a week, after work, to take my final two classes. It's gonna be rough.

No comments: