Monday, January 7, 2008

Politics

One of the really good things about no longer working in news is that I can now publicly take a position on politics.

Journalism requires objectivity, which on a personal level means you really can't step out and take a position on politics, most especially on candidates. I'm no longer encumbered by that.

I was watching the coverage of the Iowa caucus on ABC the day before the caucus took place. There was an interview with this older man about why he was backing Hilary, and he said "This country is ready for a woman president." What? Ready? Well, I'm ready to be a millionaire, that doesn't mean I should be given a million dollars (although, if anyone has a spare million sitting around, I'd be glad to take it off your hands).

People shouldn't vote for a woman because it's the politically correct thing to do. Nor should they vote for a Mormon, a black, and Indian, a Hispanic, whatever, because "the country is ready" for them. People should vote for a candidate because that person is the best candidate for the job! And in my opinion, Hilary ain't that person. She espouses change, saying she's been working for thirty some years for change. Well, how's that been working out for us? I, for one, can't see any change that has been brought about from your "work".

Have I decided who I think would be the best person for the presidency? No, not really. But I am leaning toward Obama or Edwards. One thing for certain, I'm not voting Republican. This is the first time I'm chosing to vote because of party, more voting against the President and his party than voting for the Democrats. Cynical? Probably.

No comments: